[pmwiki-users] Handling of PageNotFound situations - also automatic Category pages

Fick, Martin fick at fgm.com
Wed Jan 11 21:52:27 CST 2006

  Well, this will not really help for misspellers,
they will still click on the link won't they?  Then
what?

  If we jump forward to the idea discussed being
discussed the blog thread, we are talking about not
just creating the Category page, but using it as a
trail page and appending new pages in the Category
to it automatically.

  After thinking about this scenario a bit, I asked
myself:  what happens when a user edits the Category
page Foo and deletes the entry for page Group.A which
is in the Category Foo?  Is page Group.A still in
Category Foo?  What if a user adds page Group.B to the
trail on Category.Foo page, but Group.B does not have
a Category Foo link on it?  Is Group.B in the Category
or not?

  Now I am a little uncomfortable with the idea that
one page can update another page, but if we go so far
as to make a link to a Category Foo from Group.A
automatically put an entry on the Category.Foo page,
why not go all the way and make an entry Category.Foo
page, say Group.B put itself as a link to the Category
page on Group.B page?  Go full ahead and create a
"symbiotic" update between the two groups of pages,
deletes included, pages in Categories and entries on
Category pages would automatically stay in sync.  This
would provide a complete Category solution where one
never has to update data in more than one place but it
CAN be done from either place, where ever one happens
to find oneself!

  Scary, and more details such as where appends on
pages would go would need to be worked out, but it
sure would be usefull,

  -Martin