[pmwiki-users] Blog proposal

Hans design at softflow.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 16:51:19 CST 2006

Wednesday, January 11, 2006, 10:34:05 PM, Mikael wrote:
> Well, my point was that that step is also unnecessary, as all the
> information for generating the list in 2006-01 is available in the trail
> called MyBlog or whatever through pagelist filters (ctime in this case).

> So even explicitly adding the link is unnecessary. Think of the case
> when you for whatever reason must delete a blog entry. In your setup,
> you must find references to it in a number of trails, such as MyBlog,
> 2006, 2006-01, etc. In my case, I just remove it from MyBlog and it
> automatically disappears from the listings on the yearly, monthly etc,
> pages.

Good point. Removing the traces of a blog post will be harder than
removing the post, unless we have special tools which do this
automatically. Having just one master blog trail page will make it
easier. But it puts added performance strains on the system, since you
rely on pagelist filtering and sorting for all views, lists etc of
blog pages. If you want to live with that, and have all your blog
posts in one group, you could even use the RecentChanges page as your
master trailpage from which pagelists can get generated, I suppose.

But you could go a step further and not use a master blogtrail at all,
and just search the group with pagelist, and build all the views on
pagelist alone. I did that in my blog setup to explore pagelist:
http://softflow.co.uk/design/Blog/Blog

Best,
~Hans