[pmwiki-users] alien characters on my pmwiki headers

Brehmer, Daniel brehmer at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 6 21:30:33 CST 2006

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 05:52:47PM -0800, frederic tubale wrote:
> >    Then
> >    headers of the files had this alien characters now.
> Right at the beginning
> >    of the html code. Pls see the source code below:
>
> Stuff like this has been reported to happen in the past but
> I can't recall what causes it or how to fix it.  :-(

I have had this problem and fixed it so if my memory is working I may be able to help. I think what it came down to was an extra carriage return that was getting tacked on to the end of the files when they were transferred over to my server. The "Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent" is an indication of this.

I may not be remembering the details correctly, but I'm pretty sure the problem was due to the file transfer. You may try tracking down where the error is coming in using the line number from the error message, as Patrick said. That may not help, though, as I remember spending a lot of time doing that. Maybe try copying the whole lot over again and make sure that you have the transfer method set to ascii, not binary. Well, ascii for the text files and binary for the image files. I think, in my case, there was just one file that had been transferred over using the binary method, the pmwiki.tmpl file. And it was rather hard to find since the string "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" occurs both there and in the main pmwiki.php file.

Hope that helps,

-Dan