[pmwiki-users] Putting ".html" extensions onto pages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 28 18:17:59 CST 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:42:10AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> I've been planning to add an extension that will allow PmWiki
> to ignore trailing ".html" extensions on pagenames, and to generate them
> on page links, but just haven't completed that yet.

A question for the list:  I'm thinking of setting the core distribution
so that it ignores any ".html" extension that happens to appear at
the end of a pagename in a url.  For example, PmWiki would treat
the following urls as equivalent requests for the Main.WikiSandbox:

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Main/WikiSandbox
    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Main/WikiSandbox.html

Note that by itself this doesn't change the handling of existing urls,
which continue to work, nor would this change cause PmWiki to
start generating urls with ".html" extensions.  That would be
left for a local customization option to perform.  To see an
example of what I'm talking about, see:

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki?setskin=pmwiki-html

and then follow the various links in the page and note the ".html"
extension on each.  (Use http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki?setskin= to
return to the original default skin.)

Why do this?  Well, for normal interactive sites, it's not needed.
But some people feel more comfortable seeing page names with ".html"
in the url, and it also enables more possibilities for creating
off-line, static copies of pages on the site that can still be
navigated by a browser.

Does anyone envision any issues with simply having PmWiki ignore
trailing ".html" extensions in url requests by default...?  If not,
then it's likely to be included in the next beta release.