[pmwiki-users] Alt-E doesn't work with IE

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Feb 26 16:25:10 CST 2006

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 05:03:41PM -0500, Kemble Oliver wrote:
> The skin we are using with <http://www.scgis.gov> displays perfectly in
> Firefox,  but  not in IE.  Removing the GUI editing buttons from the top
> right of the display cured the problem, but it meant that we had to use
> the ALT-E command to get into edit mode.
>
> The Alt-E command works with Firefox flawlessly.  It does not work with
> IE at all.

Microsoft's Internet Explorer doesn't honor accesskey= attributes
in any elements that have the display property set to "none".  So,
on the page you just mentioned:

      <ul><li class='browse'><a accesskey='ak_view'  class='selflink'
        href='http://www.scgis.gov?n=Main.HomePage'>View</a>
      </li><li class='edit'><a accesskey='e'  rel='nofollow'  class='wikilink'
        href='http://www.scgis.gov?n=Main.HomePage?action=edit'>Edit</a>
      </li><li class='diff'><a accesskey='h'  rel='nofollow'  class='wikilink'
        href='http://www.scgis.gov?n=Main.HomePage?action=diff'>History</a>

the "display:none" property is preventing IE from honoring the
accesskey= attributes in the links that follow.

At the moment I don't have a really good solution for this, short of
removing the 'display:none' property somehow and getting it to view
correctly in IE.  Perhaps moving the links to somewhere else in the
page template (e.g., the bottom) and setting the color of the links to
white would work?