[pmwiki-users] broken GeminiSkin with beta29

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Feb 26 08:35:53 CST 2006

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 08:29:03AM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Saturday, February 25, 2006, 6:31:55 PM, Patrick wrote:
> > Unless there's high demand for it, I don't have any plans to support
> > onfocus/onblur in searchboxes, so you may want to keep the custom
> > function.
>
> Okay. But I had to ask, since this is a case where the skin takes on
> extra functionality by widening an existing function. And though I
> like the custom searchbox for my skins, it would not need to be
> restricted to these skins.
>
> > What I was planning to do is to add a substitution variable
> > to $SearchBoxFmt that would make it possible for the admin to specify
> > where the additional hidden input parameters should be placed.
>
> I am not sure how this would work. Would it allow insertion of
> onfocus/onblur events?

Not unless there's a high demand for it.  See my note above.  :-)

> > Another possibility is to have (:searchbox:) generate its output
> > using form markup instead of straight HTML.  Then we could see about
> > adding a focus option to (:input text ...:) instead of just having
> > it available in the searchbox.  (Reuse of code is good, I hear.)
>
> If we allow onfocus and onblur events for (:input text ...:) we open
> the door to insert any kind of javascript into the page, which is too
> risky. I am much happier to allow only specific javascript by defining
> it in config.php or skin.php.

I wasn't planning to make "onfocus" and "onblur" available to authors
(where they can add arbitrary javascript), I was thinking of adding a
"focus" option that would do much the same as what you're doing with
it in the searchbox -- i.e., it would add specific javascript provided
by the forms.php script.