[pmwiki-users] Links to nothing changes cause side effect

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 21 12:15:18 CST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 05:45:05PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Tuesday, February 21, 2006, 1:34:53 PM, Patrick wrote:
> > It allows, admittedly somewhat less cleanly, for things like
>
> >     [[BlogComments.{=$Name}?action=browse#commentbox| Add Comment]]
> >     [[{$Name}?action=browse?setcolor=... | ...]]
>
> > but at least it's a relatively easy fix that doesn't require special
> > handling in PHP code.  And since the two cases above tend to occur
> > in template pages of various sorts (that are already have special
> > markup considerations), this doesn't seem too high a price to pay.
>
> I like to make one comment about the relative ease of this:
>
> I think it is actually easier to make changes to the scripts or skins
> php code, which will provide a fix or new feature to all who will update the
> script/skin, than to ask admins to edit perhaps a dozen links spread
> over various configuration pages.

Since for such links the behavior I'm proposing will act essentially
the same as what existed prior to beta26 -- it's not really the
case that we're "asking" admins to change things on their site.
They only fix them if they want to take advantage of the new
capability, but it doesn't break (or change) them if they don't.