[pmwiki-users] Actual status about subpages or hierachical groups?

Daniel Hofer daho at borntofly.ch
Sun Feb 19 07:24:37 CST 2006

Hello

I've read a lot about hierarchical groups an subpages.
The missing of subpages was the reasen to change to Mediawiki, but...I
don't like it.
pmWiki is much more comfortable, it's easier to install, much easier to
migrate to another system.
That means, I will use pmWiki also in future and I like it!

Why I would like to use subpages or groups:
My wiki should be a wiki for IT-documentation.
I'm a small company with several customers.
I have some employees, some internal, and some freelance guys.

For each customre, I would like to have one wiki. There is also a
"main"-wiki for my own company.

Some employees have access to some customers, but not to all.
Within the wiki there could be also access-restrictions (for example in
the main-wiki: the group "finance" is only accessible by me).

One wiki per company is useful. The main problem for me is, that I wish
a search function over all wikis.
(I touht about a farm, but also there I didn't find a solution for
searching over all)

The reasen for the search function is, that each wiki has a FAQ-section,
and this should be searchable.

One possibility could be a further grouping level. Instead of
faq.software and
faq.hardware
we could write
company1.faq.software

a wiki-farm has also one big advantage instead of one wiki with a
further grouping level:
the wikis are physically in different directories. That means I could
define some virtually web-adresses (i.e. vu-domains) to the different
directories.

Does anybody have a good idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot.

Daniel