[pmwiki-users] Proposed Default Stylesheet (pmwiki.css)

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sat Feb 18 04:37:49 CST 2006

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> Anyway, I invite an answer to the same question I asked Jo --
> in "normal" HTML, how would you achieve the styling you're looking
> for?
>
>     <h1>Heading</h1>

Margins.
Headings should have a generous upper margin (one lineheight or more),
and a lower margin somewhere between 0.5 and 0.75 lineheight. (The
lineheight of the heading, of course.)
The actual factors might be different. Things that may affect them are:

* Whether the stylesheet is for printing or for display. Printed matter
tends to have far more margins above headings, particularly those high
in the hierarchy (this goes as far as creating enough vertical space to
start a new page).
* Aesthetic considerations. Depending on the general style of the site,
more or less upper margin might be warranted.
* Usability considerations. Too much vertical space, and people will
keep the day scrolling.

Regards,
Jo