[pmwiki-users] Worthwhile Feature Request?

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 10:00:57 CST 2006

Okay, after having sent that last email, a bit of a feature request
came to me that I wanted to ask the group about. As you can tell from
my email address, I use Gmail to handle my various discussion groups.
If only I had a client on my computer that handled email this way
(that wasn't hooked to Google's marketing).

One thing that has caused me grief in the past using PmWiki is losing
my edits when I hit the wrong button, or the browser crashes. In the
past, I tried using PmWiki to author notes for class, but after losing
a few hours of class notes to browser issues, I have resorted to
authoring in vim, then posting to my wiki. (Of course, I also am
accustomed to vim's edit/author behavior from my days as a programmer.
It freaks mundanes out.)

I don't worry about losing drafts with Gmail, because it has the
autosave of the draft. I'm assuming it uses a javascript and stores
the draft on the server. I'm wondering if PmWiki should offer the same
feature (as a recipe or in the core)?

That is, every minute or so it writes to wiki.d/drafts and when the
post is made erases the draft. To allow for simultaneous edits, the
draft might be taged with the time the editor started working on it,
his Author name, or his IP. Drafts would be seperately listed via a
pagelist on an admin/editor page, perhaps. So, if an author loses his
work, at least he can retrieve it.
--
Ben Wilson
" Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur"