[pmwiki-users] Attach: Syntax and the Default Upload Quick Reference

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 2 19:23:27 CST 2006

On 2/2/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 03:32:48PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:

> > > I think that's too complex for what we're trying to solve.
> > > I'd prefer instructions that make sense regardless of the
> > > configuration, if that's at all possible.
> >
> > It's possible, however the reference wouldn't be optimally helpful
> > using the "least common denominator", would it?  I think accurate
> > Attach: syntax is important information to have there.
>
> The only syntax that differs from one configuration to the next
> is the Attach:file.ext syntax -- the others keep the same
> interpretation regardless of configuration.

Yes.

>     Attach:Group.Name/file.ext   -- file.ext as seen by Group.Name
>     Attach:Name/file.ext         -- file.ext as seen by either
>                                     {$Group}.Name (if it exists)
>                                     or Name.Name
>
> If attachments are site-wide, then the syntax really
> doesn't matter, since all attachments are available to all pages
> and all three forms point to the same attachment.

Yes, but you only need to know Attach:file.ext

In that case, that's all the QuickReference page needs to show.
Showing the unnecessary choices is decidedly author-unfriendly IMHO.

> If attachments are per-page, then saying "Attach:file.ext refers
> to file.ext associated with the current page" is sufficient.

Yes.  Along with the other two.

> If attachments are per-group (PmWiki's default), I think it's still
> okay to talk about attachments being associated with the "current
> page", even though those attachments may be shared with other
> pages in the current group.  But I can see both sides of the issue
> for this one.
>
> At the end, I'm not sure that it's important at the quick-reference
> level to get into a bunch of details about how the attachments
> are internally organized--that's really an issue for the admin.

Those details should be left out.  I didn't mean to imply that they
should be included.

What's needed is the answer to:

    "How do I create a link to this file in a wiki page?"

> Essentially an author just needs to know
>
>     Attach:file.ext
>           -- link to an attachment
>     Attach:Name/file.ext
>     Attach:Group.Name/file.ext
>           -- link to an attachment from another group or page
>
> (Once we make the switch so that Name/file.ext tends to associate
> with another group instead of a page in the current group, I think
> 95% of the confusion that has existed will disappear.)

Probably so.

I may be getting confused...

I still think the answer to the above question would change when
$UploadPrefixFmt changes. To be specific, they might look like

By-site:

  Refer to an attached file with

     Attach:filename.ext

  See also the Uploads documentation.

By-group:

  Refer to an attached file in this WikiGroup ($Group) with

     Attach:filename.ext

  Refer to an attached file in a different WikiGroup with

     Attach:GroupName.PageName/filename.ext

  (The named page in doesn't need to exist in the other group.)

  See also the Uploads documentation.

By-page:

  Refer to a file attached to this page with

     Attach:filename.ext

  Refer to a file attached to another page in this WikiGroup ($Group) with

     Attach:PageName/filename.ext

  Refer to a file attached to a page in a different WikiGroup with

     Attach:GroupName.PageName/filename.ext

  See also the Uploads documentation.

Hagan