[pmwiki-users] AuthUser documentation?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Feb 1 19:04:45 CST 2006

At 2006-02-02  01:22 PM +1300, Allister Jenks is rumored to have said:
>Although I respectfully request the time to understand the subject
>first.  After all, that's why I was looking for the documentation.
>
>:-)

Time granted! However, it is probably worthwhile putting notes on
pages you find confusing or incomplete. For example: "I am not sure
where to set the XYZ variable mentioned here ...." would serve as a
reminder to someone who *does know* that the existing documentation
is not obvious to newbies and could use work.

>Speaking of which, what's the deal with major rewrites?  Should one
>create a new page so as not to destroy the original until the new
>page is acceptable?

Since the history facility lets anyone revert the page to any prior
version, my advice to my users is "edit fearlessly". I would not
bother with a separate page.

Separate pages are useful when you have a completely different method
of doing something. The best examples are found in the Cookbook,
where there are often two or more recipes for one task. Trying to
mush them into one page is usually confusing to all concerned. That
said, if you do add a new page, be sure to link to it from the
original. If someone feels strongly about, it they will combine the two.

When I was a newbie, I was quite taken aback to have my request to
have a PmWiki documentation page rewritten answered with "OK, go
ahead." Once over the shock, I found group authoring to be addictive.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668