[pmwiki-users] pmwiki.org back online

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Dec 23 12:04:30 CST 2006

For those who have been wondering what happened to
pmwiki.org the past couple of days, it's back online.

As far as to why it crashed -- a couple of weeks ago I asked
my hosting provider to look into some performance issues on
my server, and they ended up making some "tuning" changes to
the Apache configuration.  But apparently they were a little
too liberal in the changes (they certainly are with respect
to Apache's own recommendations) and on Thursday evening
the Apache processes ended up eating all of the system
resources.  The DNS server then crashed shortly thereafter,
thus making it difficult to reach the site.

Normally I would've caught this much sooner, but as it
turns out I've also been on vacation since Thursday
(I'm writing this email from my hotel room :-).

Anyway, I've re-tuned the Apache settings to something
a bit more reasonable, so hopefully this won't happen
again anytime soon.  And I'm returning from vacation
tomorrow, and can look into it further then.

Finally, my thanks go to whoever called me on my
cell phone this morning to let me know the site was
down -- it's greatly appreciated.  (Sorry I wasn't
more friendly on the phone -- I was just waking up
at the time! :-)

Thanks to all,