[pmwiki-users] question about maximum number of files

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 20 16:20:34 CST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 07:32:02AM -1000, Ted Coombs wrote:
> My wikihistory.org site is growing in number of files. Currently there
> are about 360. I've noticed the interface slowing down considerably. I
> am using the flat file interface. Should I switch to using a database to
> manage the information?

FWIW, the pmwiki.org site has over 4800 pages (flat file), so it is
possible to have large numbers of pages with reasonable performance.
And sometimes the speed has to do more with the size of an individual
page (i.e., how long it takes to render the page), not the number of
pages on the site.

It's possible to speed things up a bit by having the pages in wiki.d/
be subdivided into small directories -- e.g., per wikigroup, or by
the first letter of each page's name, or a variety of other options.