[pmwiki-users] flunking at farming

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Wed Dec 20 03:46:33 CST 2006

First of all, do you have access to somewhere on your web server that
isn't web accessible? In other words somewhere you cannot access via a
browser. If so this is probably the best place for your "base" PmWiki
install.

jeb eddy wrote:

> http://www.wigl.com/jeb1/pmwiki.php
>
> Nothing there of interest yet, just practicing.
>
> In the same local/ directory as config.php for my home site, I have
> created a file named "farmconfig.php", containing:
>
> <?php if (!defined('PmWiki')) exit();
> $FarmPubDirUrl = 'http://www.wigl.com/jeb1/pub';

This should be OK so far.

> I see that the permissions for local/config.php are 777.  Maybe I
> should change that before long, but I'm not clear on what the
> settings should be; I'll leave it as is for now.
>
> Anyway, seeing 777, I set farmconfig.php to the same.

This probably only needs to be readable by the web server and writeable
by the admin. However, leaving it at 777 shouldn't affect how PmWiki works.

> At the same level as my home wiki (home = http://www.wigl.com/jeb1/),
> I have created a folder jf333/, with 755.  (These permissions match
> those of my home wiki folder, jeb1/.)
>

> In this jf333/ folder, I have created a file "index.php" containing only:
>
> <?php include('../jeb1/pmwiki.php');

This should probably be:
<?php include('../jeb1/pmwiki.php'); ?>

I assume the missing ?> is a typo in your email.

> First of all, the URL gets changed to:  http://wigl.com/jf333/
>
> i.e., the "www" disappears.

> Question:
> Is this what should happen?
> (I'd appreciate a short explanation of why it happens, too.  I have
> no idea why some URLs require 'www" and some do not.  I  thought it
> was related to the amount of money some companies pay to the web
> administrators in the sky...)

I think this may be related to your Apache configuration. The www prefix
isn't required for a website. The only thing you require is the resource
identifier (http://). The www bit is a sort of convention.

> OK, I get the standard default Pmwiki home page.

Good!

> When I click "edit", I get:

> "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
> unable to complete your request.

Do you have access to your server log. There may be more information in
there.

> Good news, however, is that a wiki.d directory has been created in
> jf333, containing only one file:      .flock .
>
> I  changed the permissions on that directory to 777.  Still no success.

One thing I would try is to explicitly set the path to your farm's home
directory in your index.php:

<?php include('/var/www/jeb1/pmwiki.php');

Note you will need to determine the path yourself, the above is only an
example. If you are on a Linux server and have shell access typing pwd
at a shell prompt will tell you the path of your current dirctory.

> =====
> Almost last Question:  Are browser buffers a possible source of my trouble?
> =====

Probably not.

> Finally, under the heading "Customization" on the WikiFarms
> documentation page, the instructions describe a variable, $FarmD.

This is defined by PmWiki itself and is the directory of your base
PmWiki install. You can use it as a shortcut in config files e.g.:

include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/recipe"):

It saves typing the full path to the directory. Note it does have other
uses and is used internally by PmWiki.