[pmwiki-users] can a zip file be uploaded with PMWIKI?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Dec 19 20:46:03 CST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 05:19:16PM -0600, Gordon, Andrew wrote:
>    I am trying to upload a zip file and it fails with the following message:
>
>    DD-Section-1_Dec-14-2006.zip: file is larger than maximum allowed by
>    webserver

Note the word "webserver" here -- this means that something
outside of your PmWiki configuration is limiting the size
of the upload.  If PmWiki is the limiting factor, the error
message reads "file is larger than allowed maximum of 3000000
bytes for .zip files".

PmWiki can't provide more details as to what the actual difficulty is,
because the only error indication that PmWiki receives is "file too big".

So, check the max_upload_size setting for PHP, and perhaps also
the LimitRequestBody directive in Apache.  For more details,
take a look at

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/UploadsAdmin#otherfilesizelimits

>    I need to upload about 50 files and am looking for a fast way to do this.

If you have a lot of files to upload, the easiest way to do it is
by using FTP or some other file transfer application.  PmWiki's
upload feature is really intended for attaching files one-at-a-time
(although I'm hoping to change this someday).