[pmwiki-users] Being pounded

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Dec 19 17:12:12 CST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 02:55:52PM -0800, pmwiki at 911networks.com wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:28:47 -0600
> "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Right -- that's what I meant by "broken link" -- it's a link
> > to a non-existent page.  Sorry for not being precise -- I'll
> > rephrase:
> >
> > Somewhere on the page is a link to a *non-existent* page
> > called Retrieve.Retrieve.  Since that non-existent page
> > doesn't have (:noaction:) in it, the links appear and the
> > xml-sitemaps.com spider follows them.  See
> > http://www.sqlhacks.org/index.php/Retrieve/Retrieve to
> > see what the robot is seeing.
>
> Thanks, that's is somewhat clearer, but shouldn't:
> ?action=refcount show me the broken link, with "missing" "pagename
> in group Retrieve" "referenced from pages in all groups"?

Note that the link to the Retrieve.Retrieve page could be
coming from somewhere other than wiki markup -- it could
be generated by a skin template or some other item.

And it could be the case that it's being generated by
something other than direct markup -- e.g., it could be
coming from a pagelist, search results, {*$PageUrl},
{*$FullName}, etc. -- which ?action=refcount won't (can't)
catch.  ?action=refcount can only find actual page references
in the page's markup.

More on this in a bit...