[pmwiki-users] Being pounded

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Tue Dec 19 16:19:34 CST 2006

On 2006-12-19 Neil Herber (nospam) is rumoured to have said:
> The problem appears if anyone enters an undefined page name - such as
> Retrieve.Retrieve. I tried just that, and the "Retrieve/Retrieve
> doesn't exist" message appears along with all of the "hidden" menu
> bar items. The links are clickable.

Sorry, I realized too late that my comment was not too helpful (though
accurate). An easy way to cure this would be to put some conditionals
around items in the code that creates your menus.

For example, on one of my sites I do this:

> *[[{$Name}?action=edit | Edit ]]
> *[[{$Name}?action=diff | History ]]
> *[[Site/AllRecentChangesPerAuthor |All Recent Changes]]
> (:if auth admin:)
> *[[{$Name}?action=upload | Attach a File]]
> *[[{$Name}?action=attr | Set Attributes]]
> *[[{$Group}/GroupAttributes?action=attr | Set Group Attributes]]
> (:if:)
>
> [[<<]]
> ->''Page last modified by {$LastModifiedBy}, {$LastModified}''

So only admin guys can see the last 3 links. Works on non-existant pages
too.

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/