[pmwiki-users] HTTP 404 with IE, a pmwiki bug?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Dec 19 14:20:20 CST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 07:00:03PM +1300, Robin Sheat wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 05:32, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > Regardless, if IE is (now) displaying different results for 404 pages,
> > I don't have a really good answer, short of configuring PmWiki to
> > detect the browser type and return a different status code for
> > Internet Explorer.
> I think it used to be the case that if the content returned on a 404 was under
> a certain size, IE would display its own 'friendly' page. If it was more, it
> would display the content. Maybe PmWiki's page has gotten smaller, or the IE
> limits changed. Perhaps try faking a really large page and see if that makes
> a difference.

FWIW, from a fresh install a "Page Not Found" error from PmWiki generates
over 6,000 bytes of output.  So, I don't think page size is the issue.

It could be that there's a proxy involved that is somehow manipulating
the 404 Not Found results.  (But that seems unlikely since it would probably
be affecting Firefox and other browsers as well.)