[pmwiki-users] New recipe: Fox

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 07:43:24 CST 2006

On 12/18/06, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> Of course if one wanted to build  a multi-threaded forum, using messages
> stored on one page per topic, then there is the problem of extracting
> individual messages from the page, and putting them back together in
> a different order etc. which may be a lot of processing, or may be
> not. I don't know.
>
> In any case I don't want to go down the road and
> store each forum message in a separate page, I don't like the
> idea of hundreds or thousands of tiny pages in one folder, all with
> just a numeric index as pagename. The simple approach of one topic per
> page will produce hugely less pages, and pages with reasonable names
> as well. This fits well for me with PmWiki's simple approach. ZAP
> tries to make it into a kind of database. Maybe this is doable and
> workable, but fairly complex to set up. I just prefer a simpler
> approach.

I didn't looked neither at zap's code nor at yours, but IMHO, a topic
should be a single page using (:include ...:) directives to organize
the thread flow. Then, the included threads could be either:

* Individual pages fetched with (:include MyTopic-nnnn:) with the
benefit to allow individual message display and navigation through a
trail.

* Or, all located on a single page. The directive would be (:include
MyTopic-Talks#nnnn#nnnnend:), and a (:toc:) directive would be a
really plus to the message navigation.

* Or even best, a merge of the two solutions, in order to balance the
size/number of pages to process, or to follow some periodicity rules
as a mailing-list archive manager could do.

Just my 2c.
Dom