[pmwiki-users] weird session error

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Dec 18 12:05:41 CST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 11:55:50AM -0600, Jon Haupt wrote:
> On 11/27/06, Brent Zupp <atticus4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone understand this session error?
> >
> > I'm using pmwiki-2.2.0-beta16
> >
> > Warning : session_write_close() [function.session-write-close]:
> > open(/tmp/sess_87ed5b663b4cee7650c6755e7f9f1520, O_RDWR)
> > failed: Permission denied (13) in /pmwikipath/pmwiki.php on line 1723
> >
> I'm getting this exact same error.  It just suddenly started popping
> up on all my PmWiki installations.  I suppose it must be related to
> some PHP configuration that was changed.  Has anyone actually figured
> out a solution to this problem?

Usually this means one or more of the following:

    1.  The webserver account doesn't have write permission to the /tmp dir
    2.  The disk partition containing /tmp has been mounted read only
    3.  The PHP configuration has been changed such that it is no
        longer able to create session files in /tmp (I don't know
        if safe_mode-related settings can affect this).

So, I'd be looking at the /tmp directory on your server and see if
things are okay there.

The workaround is to tell PHP to store sessions in another directory
that is writable.  For example, one can create a "session.d" directory,
give it write permissions, and then place the following in either
local/config.php or local/farmconfig.php:

    session_save_path('session.d');