[pmwiki-users] HTTP 404 with IE, a pmwiki bug?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Dec 18 10:32:12 CST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:08:07AM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Sunday, December 17, 2006, 8:19:32 PM, porneL wrote:
> > It might be caused by "friendly errors" feature of IE.
> > To prevent new/blank pages from appearing in search engines and causing
> > all sorts of other trouble, PMWiki MUST send them as error pages.
>
> One can change IE's behaviour by opening
> Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab
> and unchecking the Show friendly HTTP error messages box
>
> But this is just a work-around.
> I hope that PmWiki will be able to handle this, perhaps by creating
> an appropriate error page, which stops IE kicking in with "friendly"
> 'HTTP 404 - File not found' error messages.
> Please Patrick can you look at this?

I'm in the same boat as Neil Herber -- I get the page itself,
not the "friendly IE message".  I get the page regardless of
the "Show friendly HTTP error" setting in Internet Options .

What version of IE are you running?  (My system has
"6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519".)

PmWiki has been returning 404 Not Found messages for non-existent
pages since at least 2.1.beta21 (January 2006), and afaict IE
hasn't mentioned anything about this before now.  I'm wondering
if this issue is due to a recent upgrade within IE?

Regardless, if IE is (now) displaying different results for 404 pages,
I don't have a really good answer, short of configuring PmWiki to
detect the browser type and return a different status code for
Internet Explorer.