[pmwiki-users] PMWiki default documents vs search engines

Russ pmwiki at russhosting.com
Wed Dec 13 21:25:07 CST 2006

IMHO, the way documentation is currently distributed is ideal.  If you
want to block it or remove it, that is easy to do.  However, if you have
multiple PmWiki installations running different versions, the
documentation is always valid *for that version*.  You won't have the
situation where a user reads something on documentation linked from
PmWiki.org, only to find that the feature they are trying to use was
introduced two releases after your installation.  It is not always
practical or desirable to upgrade to the latest version unless there is
a valid security reason, so having a central documentation repository
might be confusing as it begins to mention features or markup not
available with the installed version.

Perhaps the documentation on "hiding" pages from the PmWiki group could
be explained a little more ... this is the first time I'm seen the @lock
(I've been excluding PmWiki.* from search and pagelists in the
config.php file).

Patrick, would the @lock also work to hide Site. pages (or a new Admin.
group, for example) from search results and pagelists, without affecting
their ability to be included in other pages like a read password would?

Regards,

Russ Jackman
InternetAdvisor.ca