[pmwiki-users] PMWiki default documents vs search engines

Wed Dec 13 16:28:34 CST 2006

When I search for information about PMWiki I rarely find PMWiki's own site
and documentation. The problem is that every PMWiki installation contains
full copy of documentation, which gets indexed by search engines:
http://www.google.com/search?q=pmwiki+%22documentation+index%22 (217000
results)

* it's lots of needlessly duplicated content which is off-topic for most
of the sites
* searches for pmwiki-related information bring outdated/unauthoritative
documents
* exploits against pmwiki can easily find potential victims

My suggestion is to exclude (in default configuration) PMWiki group from
being indexed by search engines.

I know this problem can be avoided by using search on pmwiki.org site or
limiting scope of google's search, but other points remain valid and just
searching for "whatever pmwiki" is slightly more convenient.

--
regards, porneL