[pmwiki-users] Can't preview or save pages; Site.SideBar breakin

W Randolph Franklin pmwiki at wrfranklin.org
Wed Dec 13 13:46:45 CST 2006

On Wed 13 Dec 2006 8:03, Tegan Dowling wrote:
> On 12/12/06, W Randolph Franklin <pmwiki at wrfranklin.org> wrote:
> > Help!  Suddenly I can't preview or save any page.
> >
> > That is,
> >
> > 1. I browse to www.page/page?action=edit
> >
> > 2. Pmwiki presents a page asking for my password as usual.
> >
> > 3. Pmwiki presents the usual edit window.
> >
> > 4. I fill in the Author field.
> >
> > 5. I click on PREVIEW or SAVE.
> >
> > 6. Pmwiki goes back to step 2.
> >
> > Also pywe can no longer edit the page.
> >
> > This happened about the same time that someone hacked my
> > Site.SideBar page, replacing it with a lot of links to some
> > other site (perhaps to increase its search engine ranking).
> >
> > I still haven't figured out how that happened.  Does pmwiki
> > have a hole?  Had I put a @nopass on the page for some
> > reason (it had that set)?  Did one of my group of
> > researchers edit the group from a compromised computer and
> > the edit password leak out that way?
> >
> > Any help or info is welcome.  When I figure out more about
> > the breakin, I'll report it.
>
> What version of the PmWiki software is the site running? --

Grepping wikilib.d/* for any references to 'version' found
various versions listed; the highest is 2.1.26.

> for a time, the Site.SideBar page did come with the
> edit-password pre-set to @nopass.  (It's now set to the site's
> default edit password, I think)

Thanks; that probably explains that one.  The only way I could
remove the @nopass was to edit the page on the web server.  Using
the ?action=attr form didn't change it.

> If that relates to your inability to save any edit on any
> page, I don't know how - but someone may.  If the saving
> problem is something else, I might observe that the times when
> I've encountered something similar, there was a problem with
> the .htaccess file in my installation's root directory, and
> replacing it cleared things up.
>
> HTH

My pmwiki/.htaccess is:

# Use mod_rewrite to enable "Clean URLs" for a PmWiki
installation.
RewriteEngine On
# Define the rewrite base.
RewriteBase /Homepages/wrf/pmwiki
# Send requests without parameters to pmwiki.php.
RewriteRule ^$           pmwiki.php  [L]
# Send requests for index.php to pmwiki.php.
RewriteRule ^index.php$  pmwiki.php  [L]
# Send requests for files that exist to those files.
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
# Send requests for directories that exist to those directories.
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
# Send requests to pmwiki.php, appending the query string part.
RewriteRule (.*)         pmwiki.php?n=$1  [QSA,L]

It apparently hasn't changed since May.

Thanks.

--
W. Randolph Franklin