[pmwiki-users] 2 different secure paths with PMWiki

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 09:17:36 CST 2006

On 12/13/06, Stewart Apelzin <sapelzin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.  My company will be using PMWiki for two uses; to share information
> amongst employees, and to share information with customers.  We generally
> don't want the customers to be able to see our employee pages.  However, we
> may want to share some specific employee info with customer (knowledge base
> information).
>

> Setting up page-by-page security will be a daunting task.  Are we better off
> instead setting up two separate wikis (via a farm)?  If we do this, is there
> a mechanism that we can use to share pages from one wiki to the other –
> other than copying them manually?

As others have said, different passwords for different wikigroups on a
single wiki may well work for this.  The tricky part will be making
public some pages that are logically part of the private area, if I'm
right in understanding what you're describing.  I would just caution
you that for security and navigational reasons, it's better to keep
public and private wikigroups separate, and *not to unprotect
individual pages* in otherwise-protected wikigroups.

So, for a simple way to handle this, if you have a topic that you want
to have public, but you also want employees to have private discussion
on or contributions to the subject, you might do something like:

PublicGroup.Topic1, PublicGroup.Topic2

PrivateDiscussionGroup.Topic1-Discussion,
PrivateDiscussionGroup.Topic2-Discussion

On each of the -Discussion pages, you could either link to the public
page, OR include it, using the syntax (:include PublicGroup.Topic1:).

Does that address your issues?