[pmwiki-users] Google Map API 2.2.0 Pre-planning

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 11:04:21 CST 2006

Greetings all. I'm in the last nine days of law school, so I'm about
to have a rather out-of-season Summer of Code before I return to the
GIS software engineering community.[1] Perhaps I should call it
Christmas of Code? (Classes are over, only three exams.)

I am going to focus on Google Map API (GMA); implementing features as
requested on the discussion page.[2] I would like those interested in
an improved GMA to check out the list of planned features and provide
input. As a summary of planned features:
    * Map Float
    * Link to wiki pages
    * Multiple map support
    * Direction control
          o Remove directions option
          o load directions in new windows
    * Icon support

I'll be implementing the easier features first (e.g. float, link to
wiki pages). I tried to sort the list above into the order of
implementation. I will start on features now, while y'all take a
chance to request additional features. So, stay-tuned for 2.2.0-pre1.

For Icon support, I've been scratching my head for months over the
best way to implement this feature. I actually had a released
implementation that I pulled back because it was weak (which normally
might not stop me). This has been because you can have literally
thousands of icons. I wanted a dynamic way to implement them all. I
think I finally have a solution, although it does put a bit more on
the administrator.

If any developers have considered adding a fix or feature to GMA since
August's release, please get with me so I can incorporate them into
the next official version.

--
Ben Wilson
"Words are the only thing which will last forever." Churchill

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_information_system. After
two and a half years, I've confirmed my dislike of lawyers. I prefer
to think of GIS as Geospatial Imagery Systems.
[2]: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/GoogleMapAPI-Discuss