[pmwiki-users] installing on Apple iDisk?

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sat Dec 2 06:00:56 CST 2006

On Nov 27, 2006, at 4:08 PM, Jeb Eddy wrote:

>>>  Only static Web pages are supported; that is, there is no support
>>> for CGI, PHP, SSI and so on.
>
> Well Hans,
>
> Thanks so much for this info.  Perhaps a quick note could be added to
> the PmWiki Installation instructions so that other beginners with
> dot-Mac accounts will not tilt at this windmill?

You may add a note to any page on pmwiki.org.  If a page is
passworded because it's a common target for wiki vandals, it's likely
the password is "quick" -- so feel free to make a small note that
the .mac/iDisk won't accept PmWiki since PHP is not supported.

If you are able to set up your Mac computer to be running apache/php,
there are things you can do to upload flat files to your .mac/iDisk
from a wiki you run on your computer at home.  If you're a Mac user
that runs Fink or is able to compile apps on your Mac command line,
you would use wget (a webpage snatching command for Terminal) when
you make changes to your local wiki, use wget to create html flat
files into a directory, sync that directory with your iDisk/.mac web
server account when you make changes.  You wouldn't be able to
support any dynamic PmWiki features (email form processing, comments,
page ratings, etc.), but it is one way to have an easily updated
website that syncs to your .mac account.

Then again, to get that functionality without the geekery you could
use iWeb from the iLife package too, and it's probably much less
technical to do so.

I suggest an inexpensive web hosting service and a program such as
Cyberduck for uploading your files to the web hosting service.

Crisses
fellow Mac user & geek