[pmwiki-users] Pagelists Performance

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 13:20:20 CST 2006

--- Scott <scott at skhanselman.com> wrote:

> I've finally set up my PmWiki site and have 11909
> wiki pages (each about 200-300
> kb in size, but will get bigger in the future). I'm
> using (:pagelist
> name=-*.HomePage count=10 fmt=#simplename:) for a
> pagelists section on my main
> homepage. The page takes anywhere from 15 to 25
> seconds to load (as seen with
> the PageGeneration script). All other pages load
> very quickly as long as there
> are no pagelists.

>From the pagelist directive above, it does not look
like your directive will exercise anything more than
the 'ls' section of pagelists and sorting.

What version of pmwiki are you using?  It looks like
the current versions might actually have some serious
speed increases in this specific area of performing
the 'ls' over older versions.

If instead, sorting is your problem (which I suspect
it is), I'm not sure that there is anything you can do
about it.

To give yourself some ideas for metrics, maybe try
running a few simple command line commands (you are on
unix?) in your wiki.d directory:

  ls|head

and

  ls|sort|head

to see how long they last?  I believe the last command
should be close to what you are doing in your
pagelist.

> After doing some research I found the SearchIndex
> recipe/script. My main page
> with the pagelists didn't seem to benefit from the
> index file that was created.
> So I've stopped using that script for now. The best
> I saw using this script was
> down to 13 seconds.

This makes sense since as mentioned above, I think
that you are only stressing the ls command and
indexing should not help that.

> So back to the searching again I found that I might
> want to do the
> PerGroupSubDirectories, but I would like some
> comments that would help me decide
> to make the switch to the sub directory structure.

I don't think it will help,

-Martin