[pmwiki-users] Can a user provide one password that allows both read and edit access?

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Fri Dec 1 10:31:07 CST 2006

Gordon, Andrew wrote:
> Can a user sign on with a password that allows both read and edit
> access? If so how is that specified? Thank you

Yes, you can.

The default is that everyone, signed-in or not, has read access, but
from your question I suspect you don't want that.

I'll assume you're using the default permission system, which is
password only.

The most reliable way is to explicitly give that person permission to do
both, in either config.php (for wiki-wide) or ?action=attr (for group or
page). Just enter the same password for both authorities and you're done!

You would expect authority to edit to also give authority to read, but
there are cases where you want people to only edit and not read.

E.g. of that special case, Link on PageA is   [[PageAComments?action=edit]]
This will bring up the edit form for PageAComments, but the user won't
be able to see earlier comments.

The default may in fact be that edit access includes read access, but
I'm not sure, and seeing as it's easy enough to explicitly give both,
that's what I do.

Another way is to use two separate passwords, and then give passwords as
it asks. It will remember your earlier access as well as your new one --
so you're logged in as two people. Yes, everything is cleared with
action=logout or if you close all browser windows. Think clearing
cookies will also do it.

If you're using AuthUser, then instead of giving a password authority,
you type id:username in the place you'd normally enter the password. I
don't know if you can log in as two people at once this way, and I don't
know about the other authentication systems.

Hope this helps,

Sandy