[pmwiki-users] Has the 'DownloadManager' recipe has been marked "abandoned"?

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 16:27:58 CDT 2006

On 8/29/06, IchBin <weconsul at ptd.net> wrote:
> I realize that everyone is busy but just wondering if the
> 'DownloadManager' recipe has been marked "abandoned" or if someone has
> picked up support for this recipe? Patrick has mentioned these two
> possibilities for the demise of this recipe.
> I have emailed the owner a few times with no response. That recipe could
> not be that difficult to maintain. I would shoot the error and maintain
> it but I am a Java programmer just trying to absorb PHP as fast as I can.
> One question I have about debugging recipes. Is it possible that I could
> use a PHP IDE that has an interactive debugger to step thru the recipe.
> I have not sat down and tried to do that yet. I currently use Eclipse
> PHP, PHPEdit and PHP Designer products.
> Can anyone give me some direction or tips on debugging recipes?

I only use the down-and-dirty experimentation method---die statements
and print_r() for printing data structures. When the recipe is written
well they're not generally that hard to read. Of course, I only use
vim as an editor. Heck, I use it to write course thesises (ala TeX).

> Also I thought that I found the documentation for say 'SDV()' or
> 'SDVA()' commands on the pmWiki site but can not find them now. Could
> some one point me to where I can find these pmWiki commands?

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Functions. Essentially, SDV() will
only assign a value to a global variable if that variable has not
already been set. Thus, the local configuration can set the variable
_before_ PmWiki, and PmWiki will not clobber that setting. SDV() also
works with associative arrays on a key-by-key basis. This allows you
to set only one key of an array locally, and let PmWiki (or a recipe)
set the remainder.

> Since moving some of my website from a JSP\Server base to pmWiki I can
> not release my code for download until I have some way to trap download
> information. Is their any other paths I could take say like AWStats?

I use this in an course outline bank to track downloads of outlines.
It lists page views, downloads, etc. I think another recipe has
superceded it, but I'm not immediately aware of it.

Ben Wilson
"All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." HDT