[pmwiki-users] Core and question marks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Aug 28 15:32:06 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 10:12:01AM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> This might be a little hard to do, but I have thought
> that it might be nice to allow authors (not just
> admins) to define these groups by putting a tag in the
> GroupHeader or GroupFooter for these groups since one
> of them will probably exits.  Example, by adding
> (:virtualgroup:) to Virtual.GroupHeader, pmwiki will
> act as if all the pages in the Virtual group exist no
> matter what.

Easier/better might be to make it an attribute of
the Group.Attributes page.

A downside of using tags or attributes on wikipages
to indicate virtual groups is that every call to PageExists()
for non-existent page would then have to read and
process the GroupAttributes and/or GroupHeader
page of the group, which could get expensive.
Of course, the information could be cached, I
suppose, which would help.... but sometimes I worry
about the amount of memory PmWiki's internal caches
are taking up.

Currently PageExists just uses a simple filesystem
check, which is of course much faster.