[pmwiki-users] IMS caching fixed in 2.1.17

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Aug 27 09:02:16 CDT 2006

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 09:42:47AM -0400, Henrik Bechmann wrote:
>    Brilliant! Thanks! Page reset now works for both FF and IE when switching
>    from edit-rights to not-edit-rights or vice-versa.
>
>    For the curious (incl. me), what change did this require internally?

Essentially, the change requires that we store a cookie on the
browser indicating the latest occurrence of starting a new session,
logging in, changing an author name, or a change on the site.
Previously the If-Modified-Since code only had the time of last
site change to work with, which meant it would sometimes tell
the browser to go ahead and used a cached copy even though
the visitor had logged out or otherwise changed state.  Now by
keeping track of login state, it can be quite a bit smarter.

The new code is in the scripts/caches.php file, starting at the
line that says

    if (@$EnableIMSCaching) {

>    Prior to Patrick's fix a change
>    of mode (by logging in with the password, or logging out) would not take
>    effect in Firefox until the author held the shift key and hit the refresh
>    button, not very elegant! It worked fine in Internet Explorer. Now it
>    works like a charm in both.

BTW, I think it is kinda strange that it worked in Internet
Explorer; I'm guessing that IE puts things in its browser cache
based only on the base url name, without any query string.

I'm very glad to hear it all works now (finally!).