[pmwiki-users] wikifarm question: autoconfigure a new wiki

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Aug 24 19:44:20 CDT 2006

On Friday, 25 August 2006 11:59 AM, Ben Wilson <dausha at gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm still digesting what you're after, and it sounds like a "fun"
>task. :-) I'm wondering if you looked at
>http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/WikiFarmAlternative? I've used to
>to create new wiki's quickly. You could write a PHP that could create
>a new farm off this idea.

Yes I did. What I'm after is something that minimises the amount
of local customisation needed. As far as I can see, the only thing
that stops what we want to do from being trivial is that pmwiki
hard-codes 'local'. But I may have missed the obvious.

>I reuse most of the configuration and so have it in a master
>"stdconfig.php" which is in a directory I call "pmwiki-share," where I
>also keep the cookbook and pub directories. When creating a new field,
>I copy /local, index.php and .htaccess from the root directory to the
>field, and edit the /local for any differences (e.g. give the field a
>different $WikiTitle). I symlink pmwiki-share/pub to the new field, so
>all the pub contents are shared universally. That's all explained in
>the WikiFarmAlternative.

The $WikiTitle we can handle automatically -- in our installation,
we just insert the current field name.

If possible, I'd like to avoid code to:
- create a new field's directory
- copy an index.php
- copy a local/ and its .htaccess

I know it's not hard, but to my mind it's not necessary, given that
pmwiki already takes care of wiki.d and uploads, but requres a site
to use a directory called local/ for each wiki field.

>Hmm, fill out a form (e.g. farm name, a few standard configrations)
>that makes the field, and creates a local with the configurations you
>want. That could be used in conjunction with the recipe I refer to.
>Actually, a recipe could do the form in PmWiki so field creation can
>be protected via AuthUser or whatever protection scheme you
>want.

Yup! The minimal implementation is a form like this:

Field name: [                   ] ( Go )

--
JR