[pmwiki-users] Append read-auth password to url for instant login via link?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 24 15:47:49 CDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 03:21:03PM -0500, Tegan Dowling wrote:
> On 8/23/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 03:51:51PM -0500, Tegan Dowling wrote:
> >> Hi, List:
> >>
> >> I want to automatically log someone into a read-protected website
> >> (w/default password-authentication type of security) using a password
> >> string appended to the URL in another page, for example:
> >>
> >> http://www.somewiki.com/Main/HomePage?action=login&authpw=readpassword
> >>
> >> where readpassword is the group or page 'read' password.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to do that? I don't want them to see the password box;
> >> I just want to pre-supply that and log them directly into the site.
> >

> >    if (!isset($_POST['authpw']) && @$_GET['authpw'])
> >      $_POST['authpw'] = $_GET['authpw'];
>
> Hi, PM - I'm sorry, I've really tried to figure out how to use this,
> but I just don't know enough. Could you tell me where to put it (and
> maybe what I do after I put it there)? If it goes in local/config.php,
> does it matter where?  Thanks so much for your help - sorry to be such
> a pain.

It can go in almost any local customization file, including
local/config.php.  Ideally, it should occur as early as possible
in the configuration file sequence (i.e., at the top of local/config.php
would be better than at the bottom).  If you're using AuthUser, then
it needs to go before the include of the authuser.php script.

After adding the above, one can specify passwords from
the url using "authpw=password" as in your example above.