[pmwiki-users] Announcement: Google Map API v.2.0.0--Hot off the press

Hans hans.bracker at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 23 02:35:49 CDT 2006

On 22/08/06, Ben Wilson <dausha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Finally released---let the mayhem commence![1]

Thank you ! You put a lot of work into it.
Great to get google maps alive in the wiki.

> Google Map API v.2.0.0 is a redesign of the markup interface as well
> as the structure of the recipe itself. The goal was to limit confusion
> with the markup. Markup is reduced to three types: map, line and
> point. The map markup only effects the map and its controls, and does
> not take lat/lon. The line and point markups take lat/lon. Etc.
>
> I have tried to make the documentation clear. However, I realize that
> I do not always write in clear terms. So, I invite documentation
> clarification.

Although there is a lot of description documenting the recipe, I am
missing examples.
I learn best by seeing example code, put precisely, which I then can adapt.
Example configuration code also helps me to understand the concepts behind.

For instance I was confused reading about the installation. It
mentions require_once(..), where we always use include_once. And when
installing the main script in farm/cookbook/ the javascript needed
putting into the field/pub/scripts/ folder, because gma-2.0.0.php uses
$PubDirUrl and not $FarmPubDirUrl.

I was also not too pleased that I needed to make changes to the skin
template, just to get this recipe running. But I have to think about
this a bit more, to see if there is another more general way to
include code at the bottom of the html page. Probably by redefining
and adding a variable to $HTMLEndFmt, as an array similar to
$HTMLHeaderFmt.

> I encourage those who are using this recipe to try this API and report
> any issues you encounter. I will do my best to make timely
> corrections.

Finally having the installation working and a map displayed, I found
that I could not set a center and zoom level to the map. Where and how
does one set the maps center with lat and long coords? I needed to
hack the pub/scripts/gmaJs.js file
to change coordinates. And from where is the js 'load' function called?

I hope setting map center and zoom level will be possible from options
within the gma-map markup, as well as default settings in config.php
or another local customisation file.

In any case I am thrilled about the prospects for this script!

~Hans