[pmwiki-users] PmWiki Perl module

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Aug 19 23:12:07 CDT 2006

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 08:12:27AM +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 04:52:20PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 11:22:23PM +0200, Jean-Fabrice [gmail] wrote:
> > > I would like to know if anybody is already using perl to
> > > maintain/update their PmWiki.
> >
> > Out of curiosity, any particular reason for choosing Perl instead
> > of PHP to do it?
>
> I'm not Jean-Fabrice, but I can think of a number of reasons:
> [...excellent reasons omitted for brevity...]

To be honest, the only reasons PmWiki is written in PHP is
because (1) it's much easier to install a PHP script onto
a webserver than a Perl script, and (2) PHP has a gentler
learning curve for most people new to script and web programming.

If it hadn't been for these two things, PmWiki would've
been written in Perl, which is my preferred language for
nearly everything else besides PmWiki (and a few other
web-based tasks).

Now if only we could get that Perl 6 compiler finished...
maybe in time for Christmas.