[pmwiki-users] Google Analytics

Marc Cooper gmane at auxbuss.com
Sat Aug 19 18:53:34 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud said...
> On Wed Aug 16 22:24:16 CDT Ben Wilson wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, Google's analytics is now available to all.
> >
> > www.google.com/analytics
> Although it's quite easy to use config.php to enable Google
> Analytics, I have enough sites where I'll want to use it that
> I'm thinking of adding support directly into the core to simplify
> it for administrators.  Anyone have any opinions for or against this?
> Essentially, an administrator wanting to have the site tracked by
> Google Analytics would simply place the following into config.php:
>     $GoogleUAcct = 'UA-123456-1';
> and the default configuration scripts would automatically add the
> appropriate Analytics output in the generated HTML.
> Votes in favor, against?

Wholly against in the core, but as a recipe, of course it's a good

- Extra work for Pm who will be obliged to support it.
- It is a commercial project and had no place within FOSS, imo. And I'm
the no zealot, but you'll just have to believe me on that.
- I have a personal dislike of 'stuff' that obliges you go off-site
while loading a page. (Why not let me store it and you come and pick it
up from time to time? Yes, I know why :-) )

However, assuming Google have offered you a tidy wedge of cash to
promote their services - and I see no other reason to do their work for
them - then go for it and let us vote for the extra goodies you can now
afford to build for us :-)

In any case, isn't everyone already blocking Google's metric's collation
in Firefox to improve their browsing "experience".

If god made us the way we are, how come he built us out of spare chimp