[pmwiki-users] Wikiwords and style identifiers bug and workaround

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Tue Aug 8 20:43:22 CDT 2006

Dominique Faure wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Developing a new cookbook recipe involving divs, my kindly beta-tester
> found that using a Wikiword as a style identifier breaks the page
> output.
>
> An example is available at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/WikiWordsAndStyles
>
> The reason is that during the page markup translation, links/wikiwords
> are handled before blocks/styles, so such identifier is recognized and
> interpreted as a wikiword wherever it could occur in the page.
>
> A workaround could be to introduce non wikiword chars allowed in
> identifiers (underscores,...) or even use the fact that forbidden
> chars in identifiers are replaced by underscore:
>
> (:div id='an identifier with forbidden chars':)
>
> In the markup above, the identifier is rendered as:

Yeah, I noticed this when I was testing the ShowHide recipe back in
March and noted the following workarounds:

"Naming a div id. Watch out for Uppercase characters. If your first
character is uppercase, then all the rest must be in lowercase (Abc).
Additional capitals (ABc and AbC) will cause the markup to fail. If your
first character is lowercase, however, then you can have multiple
uppercase characters (aBC). --Pico"

Pico