[pmwiki-users] A question about skins

Marc Cooper gmane at auxbuss.com
Mon Aug 7 15:27:27 CDT 2006

 said...
> I have been playing with (well looking at mostly) some of the skins at
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ and I have a question.
>
> I have quite a hi-res screen that I run at 1600x1200, many of the
> skins (as a result?) seem to only use a small portion of the width of
> my browser window.  For example the "Lean Skin" uses only about half
> of the width of my browser window even though I'm running the browser
> at somewhat less than full screen.
>
> Other skins do use the fulll window area.
>
> Is this just a minor fault in the design of those skins that don't use
> the full width or am I missing something obvious?  The screen shot
> examples of "Lean Skin" don't look at all like what I'm seeing, they
> show very narrow borders either side of the 'body'.  I get borders of
> ten or fifteen cm.

Yup, empirical typesetting experience - over a few centuries - has
determined that the optimal length of a line of alphabetic text is
approximately 65 characters, so, many skins will be designed to limit
the width of the reading column.

When you use a big monitor, you are not obliged to run it full screen
;-)

--
Best,
Marc