[pmwiki-users] Simple AuthUser site

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Aug 7 09:51:37 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 01:48:00PM +0100, cl at isbd.net wrote:
> I have set up PMWiki on my home Linux box as an alternative to TWiki.
> Installation was easy and so far I'm happy with what it can do.
>
> I'm a little 'out of tune' with the authorisation/password side of
> things though.  I basically want to require that all users who can
> edit pages must log in with name/password but that pages are all
> readable by the world by default.

Do you really need them to log in with a name and password, or
would just having a password be sufficient?

If just a password is sufficient, then all you need to do is

    $DefaultPassword['edit'] = crypt('the_password');

and then tell everyone who is authorized to edit the password.
In general I find this works much easier than managing separate
name+password pairs.

However, if you really need name+password authentication, then yes,
you'll want to use authuser.php.  In the configuration file, use:

    $DefaultPassword['edit'] = 'id:*';
    include_once("$FarmD/scripts/authuser.php");

The $DefaultPassword line is the one that restricts editing to
authors that have successfully authenticated with a name+password.

Once this is set up, you'll need to create accounts for each
author -- to do that, edit the page Site.AuthUser and add
lines for each author:

    alice: (:encrypt alice_password:)
    bob:   (:encrypt bob_password:)
    carol: (:encrypt carol_password:)

Hope this helps -- if not, feel free to ask more questions.