[pmwiki-users] nesting divs and tables

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Aug 5 18:43:40 CDT 2006

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 08:55:13AM +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 08:12:54PM +0200, Dominique Faure wrote:
> > I would suggest to add some separators, which could both improve the
> > readability and lower the risks of conflicting names. For example:
> >
> >   (:div[abc xyz]:)
> >   (:div[abc xyz]end:)
> >
> > This could even be used to provide some structural guidelines to the
> > page content.
>
> Heh, if you're going to go that far, would it make sense to just add an
> argument to div and divend?
>
>         (:div level=1:)
>         (:divend level=1:)
>
>         (:div level=abc:)
>         (:divend level=abc:)
>
> Or would that be too verbose and therefore annoying?

I thought about this when developing nested divs, and it's still a
possibility, but I decided against the word "level" because it might
imply an ordering relationship that doesn't exist.  In other words,
an author might be tempted to think that "level=2" implies a
specific relationship to "level=1", which isn't the case.

And it is a bit more verbose than I'd like.

I'm also thinking of extending the >>..<< markup to allow more
brackets, such that an author could use >>a<<, >>>b<<<, >>>>c<<<<,
etc. to denote different div begin/ends.  (Of course, these
would simply translate to (:div:), (:div1:), (:div2:), or
something like that.)