[pmwiki-users] Generate a list of categories, when some category pages don't exist

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 08:19:42 CDT 2006

On 7/19/06, Sebastian Siedentopf <schlaefer at macnews.de> wrote:

> Am 19.07.2006 um 19:13 schrieb christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com:
>
> > I'd like to generate a list of all categories that exist, how can I
> > do this?
> >
> > This recipe is about how to do this
> >       http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ListOfCategories
> >
> > but unfortunately all it does is the following:
> >
> >       (:pagelist group=Category list=normal:)
> >
> > As far as I can tell that will only list the pages in the group
> > Category, so if a category doesn't have a page, it won't show up.
> >
> > What I am looking for is a method to list all categories, including
> > the categories that do not have a corresponding page.
>
> I wrote a little script that does this. It is not tested with the
> latest PmWiki builds and maybe not recipe quality, but I append it so
> you can try it out if you want. The markup (:CategoryIndex:) should
> give you a simple bullet list with all categories.
>
> Sebastian

I expect some will be loathe to see this thread resurrected, but in
its first life it kind of forked into a discussion of how to use
pagelist to replace refcount (which I very much hope to see).  Back on
this original subject, though - of:

how to list categories for which no Category pages exist;

PM has floated the idea of developing a way of letting a site admin
opt into automatic creation of Category pages, based on the existence
of [[!category]] links to them (and the troublesome ancillary process
of deleting those pages once there are no [[!category]] links to
them).

Until that happens (and even after it happens, for those who choose
not to allow automatically-created and -deleted pages), we need a way
to know what [[!category]] links exist, independent of whether the
pages to which they point exist.

Has anyone examined/tested Sebastian's script?  Does it do the job
without breaking anything?  Should it be added to the recipe page
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ListOfCategories?

Any other suggestions/techniques?

Thanks!