[pmwiki-users] Button to add text to end of a page

Robby Van Sciver vansciver at alumni.virginia.edu
Sun Apr 30 20:41:59 CDT 2006

Thanks for the suggestion.  I would rather the performance be listed on a
user page.  Removing a user from the database would remove them from the
performances they have listed, which would be much easier than removing a
user from every performance they list individually.  (Hope that makes sense)
A PmWiki solution would be more desirable than the bookmarklet, although
I'll look into that as an alternative.
Thanks!
Robby

On 4/30/06, Pico <pmwiki at ben-amotz.com> wrote:

> Robby Van Sciver wrote:
> > Is there a way to create a button that when clicked it will add text to
> > the end of another page?
> >
> > My site has a list of performances and if a person has a copy of it, I
> > want them to be able to click a "I have this show" button which will
> > then insert:
> > * [[(Performances.)YYYY-MM-DDShowTitle]]
> > to their user profile.  I thought it would be easier if people can click
> > a button than finding and manually entering every show he or she owns.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> I would also be interested in something like that.  Appending text to a
> page other than the page that is being viewed may be a tough request.
>
> Note that the bookmarklet recipe provides a partial solution by
> generating a link for the page being viewed (the performance, in your
> example) and appending that link to the end of another page (the user
> profile page, in your example).  But, in doing that, the recipe takes
> the browser to that other (profile) page using an edit action, and
> leaves the user in the open edit screen.  To get all of that to work,
> the recipe requires a special browser bookmark that contains java script
>
> If that sounds good to you, then check out that recipe and try to adapt
> it to your specific situation.
>

> If what you want is (1) a PmWiki specific solution that uses wiki markup
> links, instead of browser bookmarked java, and (2) a server side
> solution that appends the link to a different pages behind the scenes
> (without taking to to an edit screen of your profile page), then we are
> in the same boat.
>
> An entirely different approach is to make use of Wiki categories and add
> a user's link to the performance page, rather than adding a
> performance's link to the profile page, and then using categories (or
> pagelist) to generate lists for each user that lists all of the
> performances that they have marked (with this links).
>
> Again, that isn't what I wanted, but if it would suit your purpose, the
> solution might be easier, because you would be doing a quick edit,
> append and save of the currently viewed (performance) page that makes
> use of the viewer's identifier.
>
> Pico

(And for people who read the end rather than beginning of an email:)