[pmwiki-users] Need help with Clean URLS

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Apr 25 03:09:31 CDT 2006

Philip Stitt schrieb:
> Ok, I put everything in a folder named "pmwiki", and changed "index.php"
> back to "pmwiki.php". I'm still getting the same results, basically:
> "http://example.com" gives me a 404, but "http://example.com/pmwiki"
> works fine. Links off of that page point to clean URLs, like:
> "http://example.com/SomeGroup/SomePage"
> but I still get a 404 on those pages. The dynamic URLs, like:
> "http://example.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=SomeGroup.SomePage" still work.
> What I'd like is
> "http://example.com/SomeGroup/SomePage"
>
> This is the part I don't understand: On the page
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/CleanUrls , in "Example One" it
> shows:
>
> $ScriptUrl = "http://server.example.com/~someuser/pmwiki";
>
> What does "server" mean, what am I supposed to put there?

Just replace the entire "server.example.com" with the DNS name of your
server.

 > And what is
> "~someuser" supposed to be? I'm sorry I don't get that. Is "~someuser"
> just a supposed webfolder?

Yes.
On Unix-style machines, ~someuser is usually interpreted as "the
public_html directory in someuser's home directory". I.e. it's a common
shorthand for an otherwise ordinary directory path (well, it's also a
way to avoid some restrictions that are introduced by the web server,
but you won't have to worry about that unless and until you have a Unix
shell account).

 > I'm using:
>
> $ScriptUrl = "http://example.com/pmwiki";

You should use your server's name instead of "example.com".
But from your descriptions I infer that you did that already :-)

Regards,
Jo