[pmwiki-users] How do you all manage search lists?

Dave Weil wikimasterdave at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 11 00:17:40 CDT 2006

Hey thanks a lot. I guess I should have phrased my question more towards the search results display. I see now that it does search on the text on the pages and it was really that it was only displaying the page names, which is why I had to name them longer names to make the page topic more understandable.

I will ready up more on PmWiki and see what I can find about modifying the results display.

Thanks!

Pico <pmwiki at ben-amotz.com> wrote: I'm not sure what you were reading, but your assumption that PmWiki just searches page names is not correct.  Try a search and see for yourself on your site or PmWiki.org and you will see that the results are not limited to pages whose names contain your search term.

 Take a look at the documentation for PageLists.  The opening text explains that the pagelist parameters apply to searchresults and searchbox.  These tools are very powerful and flexible.  You might also take a look at  PmWiki.PagelistsExplained, PmWiki.PagelistVariables and Site.PageListTemplates.

 If the limitation you had in mind concerns the results that are displayed, that is, the fact that the default search for a particular term returns a list that only identifies the names of the pages that contain that term, you might want to spend some time looking at what Pm has done on the PmWiki FAQs page.  If you look at the sourcecode, you will find a pagelist directive near the end that is used to populate much of the FAQs page with not only links to the titles of certain pages, but also the text of selected Question and Answer text contained within those pages.  Take a look at Site.PageListTemplates to see how Pm generated that output.

 Hopefully this is enough to get you on track.  After that, you might want to read up on PmWiki.Categories.

 Pico
From: Dave Weil wikimasterdave at yahoo.com

I am working on a company knowledgebase and having to name the pages what I would normally title a page will lead to some very long page names. From what I have read all that is searched are page names so I am wondering what others are doing about this? Anyone?

Is there no add-on that helps make the search a bit more useful like searching page contents or something?

So far I have named pages

Main.How_To_Recover_From_A_Corrupted_Installation

and such, but a lot of titles are even longer than that.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some suggestions.

Dave