[pmwiki-users] RFC: Core candidate offerings

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Apr 2 16:25:41 CDT 2006

On 4/2/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> > >     b</p>
> >
> > Hmm... don't we actually already have a way to define a new paragraph
> > explicitly? Isn't this what '\\\' on a line by itself does.. Patrick?
>
> I know that there are people who already use '\\' (and '\\\')
> on a line by itself to generate extra lines in output, as in:
>
>      * A list item\\
>      \\
>      More of the list item\\
>      \\
>      Still more of the list item
>      * Another list item
>
> So I think that for compatibility reasons we'd have to say that
> "\" continues its previous meaning, even if it's at the beginning
> of a line.

Did you mean to write "\\" there, or do you mean that "\" has been
eliminated as a possible explicit-paragraph markup?

   Line of text \\
   Another line\
   and a continuation
   \A paragraph.
   \
   \The line above this one is an empty paragraph.\\
   \\
   The line above this one generates an extra line of output.\\
   This line and the three above are all part of the same paragraph.

Hagan