[pmwiki-users] RFC: Core candidate offerings

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Apr 1 00:16:15 CST 2006

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 03:11:03PM +1200, Allister Jenks wrote:
>    I agree that's how they're interpreted.  I do not agree that vertical
>    space is the *intent* of the authors.  I disagree because there is no
>    distinction between paragraph spacing and vertical space.  No matter which
>    the author is intending, they only have one choice.
>    [...]
>    I am thinking that the blank line in the source should be interpreted as
>    "new paragraph" and implemented as you have described with appropriate
>    padding instead of the extra vspace paragraph.  The questions that then
>    remain are:
>
>    1. What is the meaning of multiple contiguous blank lines?
>    2. How does the author alter the padding on a specific paragraph?  And
>    considering top and bottom.

This once again totally oversimplifies the issue by ignoring the
impact of vertical space in list and other constructs.  Blank
lines in the markup do more than mark the beginnings and ends
of paragraphs.

It's not at all fair (to me) for people to continually claim that we
can simply eliminate the <p class='vspace'></p> tags from PmWiki's
output,  until and unless such claims also include an explanation
of how we can achieve equivalent vertical spacing effects in the
middle of lists and other constructs.  *That* is why the