[pmwiki-users] case-insensitive file names (Was: How use lowercase in Group Names)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 29 08:48:59 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 09:36:02AM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > On a case-insensitive filesystem such as Windows, there's
> > absolutely no choice in the matter -- DrM.DrM is the same
> > page as DRM.DRM.
>
> With the current implementation, sure. But my naive thinking is that
> implementing something that could handle it isn't too diffcult.  You could
> for instance maintain a separate file that maps page names to page files.
> The penalty would be that you have to read this file into memory all the
> time, just to access a page file. Or use the hash of the page name as the
> file name. Both choices do imply that you lose the nice file names of
> course.

...and if the mapping file gets lost or corrupted, you're toast.

...and you can't just copy individual page files from one system to
another and have things still work.

(Well, we *could* see about dynamically regenerating the mapping file
if it's ever determined to be corrupt or incomplete, but this
still seems problematic to me.  I think simplicity wins here.)