[pmwiki-users] another encoding issue

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Sep 28 22:42:44 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 12:57:46AM +0200, nexyufuli evo wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> >>hm, it works on links with brakets [[linkname]] but not with CamelCase.
> >>See
> >>http://pmwiki.netstreams.org
> >>

> >That indicates a problem with the internationalization settings on your
> >PHP or OS -- they aren't recognizing umlaut characters as being
> >upper or lowercase.  (Note that switching to UTF-8 doesn't solve the
> >wikiword problem at the moment -- utf-8 in PHP understands even
> >fewer upper/lowercase characters!)
> >
> >Can you set $EnableDiag=1; so we can find the version of PHP that
> >is running?  That might give some clues.
> >
> ok, I enabled it. Its a hosting service. It says that the version is PHP
> [Version]: 4.3.10 / 5.0.3.  pmwiki is running  ond 4.3 . If it would
> make sense to switch to 5 I would have to ask first.

PHP 4.3.10 should be just fine, so I'm guessing there must be something
about the locale settings on the OS or in the C libraries that
causes it to not recognize non-ASCII characters as uppercase or lowercase.

My suggestion would be to just always use bracketed links.  UTF-8
isn't likely to be able to support CamelCase either, unless there's
a substantial change to have better support for utf-8 in regular
expressions...